Monday, April 20, 2009

Italy = Love

I just got back from a trip to Rome and Venice. After this trip and my trip to Sardinia last weekend, I have decided that I absolutely love Italy and that it's my favorite country so far. The language is gorgeous, the people are nice, the landscape and architecture is breathtaking, and the food is delicious.
Sardinia is an island off the coast of Italy. We went there for our Easter break. It rained for most of the trip but we got one really good day of sun at the beach. It was pretty amazing to be on a Mediterranean beach. Easter morning we went to church at a Catholic church. It was an interesting experience. None of us really knew what was going on because it was all in Italian. That night we went to a club called La Siesta. Apparently it's some exclusive club that they were opening to the public for one night. It was pretty fun. My roommate and I took advantage of the salsa dancing there. The locals were amazing and we were nowhere near as good as them.
We were only back from Sardinia for a few days before leaving for Rome. I fell in love with Italy immediately. The countryside is so gorgeous. Everything is so green. The clouds were basically painted in the sky for the first day we were there. It really enhanced the the Roman feel... gods on Mt. Olympus and all. The architecture was also amazingly majestic. We spent two days wandering around the city and seeing all the sites. We were amazed by all of the different types of people and what they were doing to make money. There were side walk artists, break dancing boys, jewelry makers, a man playing musical classes (true story--and he was good!), as well as many others. Most of these were really interesting but some of them were kind of annoying. One of my friends and I were basically made to buy roses from this one man. I really enjoyed the fashions in Rome. I could window shop there all day.
We spent one night at an airport in Rome before heading to Venice. We were all pretty tired by the time we got there but we spent a day wandering around the city. Venice was beautiful as well--very unique. We ate lots of gelato there. I think I had about 8 gelatoes during my time in Italy with at least one different flavor each time. We came to love the gelato. It was probably one of the best things about Italy.
Everyone was surprisingly excited to make it back to Brussels. We have about a week and a half until we go home. This is crunch week in our program so here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment