Friday, January 16, 2009

The Sparrow Has Landed

I'm finally in Europe! My plane arrived in Brussels around 8:00 this morning (2:00 EST). Although I had never flown before, the flights went well. After connecting in Chicago I sat next to a very cool British man for the flight to Brussels. He gave me a lot of good advice about my stay in Europe.
There was a whole group of Clemson students at the airport this morning to be picked up by our program director. She took us to our various locations. We are pretty much spread out all over the city. I am rooming with the another girl from my program and we share a one bedroom flat. It really is the cutest thing I have ever seen.
The building that we are staying in is owned by an older couple that live on the first floor. Allison and I have the flat on the second floor and then two other Clemson girls will be on the third. The couple don't speak a lot of English but combining the English that they know with the French that Allison and I learned in high school, we were able to communicate pretty well.
Brussels is such a beautiful place, I can't wait to see more of it! We haven't done much more today other than arrive and sleep. Since Brussels is six hours ahead of what we are used to, our schedule is thrown off a bit.
And I just have to say that I love speculoos. I think that's how you spell it. It is like a cross between a ginger snap and a graham cracker. The couple down stairs gave us some and said they are a Belgian thing. They are so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment